James graduated with a Bachelor of Laws from Singapore Management University and is an Advocate & Solicitor in Singapore.
James specialises in Criminal Law. Matters he has dealt with range from State Courts to High Court as well as appellate levels. James has worked extensively with drug, property-related, white collar, sexual, hurt and traffic offences, including drink driving, inconsiderate driving, and driving while under disqualification. He provides valuable advice from early on during police investigations to the preferring of charges, makes representations to the Attorney General’s Chambers and prepares pleas in mitigation asking for leniency in sentencing. He has conducted and assisted in a number of criminal trials. He takes a holistic approach towards criminal practice and has a soft spot for at-risk youth. He has successfully obtained numerous community-based offender-specific sentences including mandatory treatment orders and short detention orders.
James has acted for parties in a number of corruption matters involving various entities including public listed companies, state-owned enterprises and multinational corporations.
James also acts for clients facing regulatory offences involving Ministry of Manpower (MOM), Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS), Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA), Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA), Energy Market Authority (EMA) as well as military Court Martials (SAF CMC). He also serves on the MINDEF Pro Bono Legal Assistance Panel.
His other areas of practice also include Civil and Commercial Disputes, Building and Construction Law as well as Intellectual Property Law. James has succeeded at various injunction applications in the State Courts and High Court. James has had international exposure as well, having completed internships with law firms and not-for-profit organisations in foreign jurisdictions.
James advises churches and not-for-profit organisations on issues of legal compliance including Personal Data Protection and Intellectual Property. He leads the Children’s Ministry in Church of Singapore. He serves as the Honorary Secretary of Tung Ling Student Care Centre and on the board of Breakthrough Missions.
James enjoys jazz and long drives.
- Public Prosecutor v Koh Wen Jie Boaz  1 SLR 334: Magistrate’s Appeal for suitable sentence in respect of youthful offender
- Public Prosecutor v Chua Leong Aik (unreported): High Court sentencing for an accessory to murder (Public Prosecutor v Chia Kee Chen and another appeal  2 SLR 249
- Public Prosecutor v Muhammad Firman bin Jumali Chew  SGHC 241: Rape and sexual assault by penetration trial; accused personating a police officer
- Public Prosecutor v Goh Bing Kun  SGDC 134: Arguments for probation in respect of credit card fraud (appealed against)
- Public Prosecutor v Muhammad Nurashik Bin Mohd Nasir  SGDC 261: Mitigation for theft of motor vehicle.
- Public Prosecutor v Katty Soh Qiu Xia  SGDC 50: Mitigation for repeat drug trafficking offence
- Public Prosecutor v Danny Eliezer Vaswani  SGDC 181: Submissions for sentencing involving breach of Mandatory Aftercare Scheme conditions and enhanced sentences for breach of Remission Orders.
Qualifications / Admissions:
- LL.B (Hons), Singapore Management University
- Advocate & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore
- M.A. Ministry, TCA College
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law